The Chinese men’s national soccer team, which chose Hong Kong as the underdog against the new year’s first match, lost the game 2-1. China started the new year in a good mood with a winning streak and tried to beat Hong Kong’s flag, but it was rather disgraced. Chinese public sentiment, which is already dissatisfied with its own soccer, is also raging.
According to local Chinese media on the 2nd (Chinese local time), Hong Kong came from behind to beat China 2-1 in a friendly match between China and Hong Kong ahead of the Asian Cup in Abu Dhabi on the 1st, the first day of the new year.랭크카지노
The game is said to have shown Hong Kong’s performance, which has changed since coach Jon Andersen took office. Hong Kong’s under-23 national team also won a dramatic victory over strong Iran at the Asian Games in October, and it was Pun Puyhin who also scored two goals on the same day.
In an exhibition match held at the same venue on Dec. 29 last year, China lost 0-2 to Oman, giving up two goals. On March 26, China invited the UAE’s relatively weak second division team to win 5-1. It was significant in many ways that China picked Hong Kong as its match against Oman two days after the match. It meant taking a break by deploying a practice match against Hong Kong after the match with the strong team, and also meaning that it was the first match on January 1, 2024.
Initially, China’s opponent for the friendly match on January 1 was India, which is emerging as China’s rival in terms of economic and international situations, although it is weaker than Hong Kong in terms of soccer. However, according to local media in China, India unilaterally broke its promise without giving a clear reason at a time when the event was just around the corner. Against this backdrop, Hong Kong was the first team to play in 2024.
Hong Kong’s SCMP (South China Morning Post) said the match was an official A match certified by FIFA, but the two football associations decided to limit information on the match while conducting the match behind closed doors. However, the results of the match were virtually sent to Chinese and Hong Kong online platforms in real time.
After a shocking defeat on the first day of the new year, the Chinese public is raging. The Chinese team was completely defeated in both results and content, with the Chinese team coming from behind to score the first goal in the first half and three Chinese players receiving red cards in the process. A Chinese soccer fan vented his anger, saying, “I don’t know how annoying it is to have a come-from-behind defeat against Hong Kong.” Another netizen criticized his Chinese team, saying, “You don’t want to keep your face clean?”
Hong Kong, on the other hand, is in a festive mood. “He scored two goals to end Hong Kong’s long-awaited victory over the mainland,” the SCMP praised the Chinese leader.
There is also a subtle war of nerves between China and Hong Kong over when Hong Kong beat China before the latest match. The SCMP claims that it is the first time in 29 years that Hong Kong beat China in a penalty shootout in the 1995 Diners’ Cup (1990-1998). Chinese media, on the other hand, claim that the last World Cup qualifier held in Beijing in May 1985 was 2-1 when Hong Kong won, and that it had never lost in the next 39 years. They claim that the Diners’ Cup is a small friendly tournament held in East Asia and cannot be accepted because it was hosted by the East Asian Football Confederation (EAFF) at the time, not FIFA.
Amid criticism, some argue that the defeat could be a boon for China to play the Asian Cup. A Chinese netizen said, “This defeat shows that past game results do not lead to the same result in the future. Hong Kong’s persistent performance may sound an alarm in China and be an opportunity to review the current situation in Chinese soccer.”
Meanwhile, the South Korean national team, which is aiming to win the Asian Cup for the first time in 64 years, will leave for Abu Dhabi through Incheon International Airport on the night of the 2nd, led by Jürgen Klinsmann.